B-SRS 2009 Show of Roses and Rose Garden Dedication"
On Saturday, November 21, 2009 the Bradenton Sarasota Rose Society will host a "show of roses" as part of the Dedication of the Phillippi Park Estates Demonstration Rose Garden.
Given the poor economic climate the B-SRS had to recognize that:
- State wide budget cuts meant that we would not be able to use the Ringling Museum for either a rose show or annual Prunathon;
- With consumer resistance reflected in restaurant and vendor downturns there would be a reluctance to pay for attendance at a rose show
- We had to choose between holding a rose show and supporting our local community
Our choice was to be proactive, to take advantage of new opportunities and concentrate our resources, monetary and volunteer, on the development of a demonstration rose garden at Sarasota County's Phillippi Estates. Among the expectations are: (in no particular order)
- Build a demonstration Rose Garden open to the community ;
- Maintain the garden at little or no cost to the local government;
- Illustrate and adhere to ecologically sound principles;
- Maximize participation of our members to share the enjoyment of their roses by providing a non-judgmental opportunity;
- Provide a learning by doing environment to our new members;
- Practice good citizenship;
- Encourage non rose growers to appreciate the value of roses in their lives;
- Stress the use of easy-care roses to encourage rose growing;
- Adhere to the ARS principle expressly stated as :
The ARS is an educational, nonprofit organization dedicated exclusively to the cultivation and enjoyment of roses.
It should be noted that this is singular commitment, that is, this is a decision for 2009, we are not abandoning the option to hold future Rose Shows although we do expect to expand our community efforts